The Borer Ethernet Lock Manager uses Power over Ethernet technology which is used to power equipment where it is inconvenient, expensive or not possible to provide a mains power outlet at the door.
Power and data are supplied across standard CAT5e/6 cable systems.
The Ethernet Lock Manager controls one or two doors and supports up to four smartcard readers and two electric strikes. It combines a power supply and door controller in a single panel.
It performs the following functions:
- Breaks out the power and data supplied down a standard CAT5e/6 cable from a Borer Midspan Bridge.
- Monitors door status settings (Door Open, Lock Status and Request to Exit button).
- Manages the power supplied to operate electric door locks and strikes.
Power over CAT5e/6 Cable technology powers equipment where it is inconvenient, expensive or not possible to provide a mains power outlet to the door. It provides electrical power and data to devices, such as card readers and electric door locks, over standard CAT5e/6 cable.
This solution requires two components as follows:
- A Midspan Switch at the source to inject power and data into the CAT5e/6 cable.
- An Ethernet Lock Manager at the destination door to be controlled which splits the power from the data and supplies the local equipment including card or biometric reader heads and door locks.
The power management chipset employed (IEEE 802.3af PoE plus) is designed for Power over Ethernet applications, providing protection against short circuit, polarity reversal and accidental connection PoE non-compliant equipment.
The Ethernet Lock Manager can support most electric strikes and locks as well as two magnetic locks. In some applications where there is insufficient energy deliverable down the CAT5e/6 cable to power the releases (electric bolts and some electric older releases and magnetic locks that demand more than the 1 Amp at 12 Volts DC that can be supplied from each of the Lock Manager’s two outputs), the Ethernet Lock Manager and associated equipment can be powered from a local 12 Volt DC power supply.
The Ethernet Lock Manager delivers cost, energy and performance benefits to the user. The cost benefits include less equipment to install leading to faster installation and cost savings from eliminating the requirement to install local mains power spurs, power supplies, back-up batteries and equipment containment at every door. This solution also consumes less energy and generates significant energy cost savings over the life of the system.
- Delivers Data and Power to control 2 Doors including electric locks over a single 100 metre run of CAT5e/6 cable.
- Operating Modes Supported Include:
- 2 doors control each with IN and OUT card readers and 2
- Single door control with IN and OUT card readers, electric lock
and audible alarm or alarm circuit shunt output.
- Airlock/Interlock/Mantrap control sequencing 2 doors and
only permitting one at a time to be opened.
- Optional Local 12V Power Supply if the applications power demands exceed PoE current limits.
- Quick Press Fit Terminal Connectors for a speedy install.
- Six Digital Inputs, each with 4 state monitoring and an optical tamper.
- Two Solid State 12V DC Powered Outputs, selectable for fail safe and fail secure operation and able to delivers enough energy to power an electric door release.
- Reprogrammable Firmware with Software Updates delivered over the LAN allows for the access control infrastructure to be updated and new technologies to be added.
- Enhances security preventing door access by tampering with the card access reader head.
- Safeguards the electrical equipment connected to the circuit by only supplying power following device identification and evaluation.
- Protects the CAT5e/6 cable by monitoring the energy delivered providing a 48V current limited power source.
- Reduces equipment cost by eliminating the requirement for local main outlets, power supply and battery at every door.
- Reduces installation cost by eliminating the local mains wiring, which in most countries, for legal or insurance reasons, has to be installed by a qualified and/or licensed electrician.
- Reduces energy consumption by as much as 80% using intelligent power management.